With the beat of the summer sun and the thoughts of summer vacations coming up, I am really excited to search out some new summer recipes and make some great meals for my friends and family! I especially love it when we cook on the bbq – to me, everything tastes better when you bbq it!
Like the bbq, I think that everything also tastes better with cheese! I know that Saputo has been around as long as I can remember (I learned that it actually has been Canada’s premier authentic Italian cheese maker since 1954). I recently tried Saputo Mozzarellissima for the first time and was impressed by its great flavour as well as how much it stretched (a must for me in any type of mozzarella cheese!). I also appreciate Mozzarellissima because it is lower in calories than many other types of cheese (90 calories per 30 gram serving). I actually plan on getting some of the Lite Mozzarellissima because it only has 70 calories per 30 gram serving!
My new plan? I’m going to can combine Mozzarellissima cheese (YUM!), the bbq (DOUBLE-YUM!) and tomato – it will be the trifecta of a great meal!
Grilled Stuffed Tomatoes
4 large ripe tomatoes
Half of a large red onion
1 yellow pepper
100 g (3/4 cup) Saputo Mozzarellissima cheese, shredded
Small handful of fresh mint, finely chopped
Olive oil, to taste
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
Drizzle of balsamic vinegar
Cut a slice of approximately 1 cm off the top of each tomato. With a small knife, cut the inside of the fleshy part of the tomato (do not cut through the bottom of the tomato).
Using a spoon, remove the inside of the tomatoes, leaving about 1 cm of flesh attached to skin. Discard the seeds and juice.
Lightly salt the inside of the tomatoes, place them with the open sides downwards, on a plate covered with paper towels.
Cut the zucchini lengthwise into 4 slices. Cut the pepper in half and remove the inside. Also cut the half onion in 2.
Brush vegetables with olive oil and salt and cook for 8 to 10 minutes on direct medium heat until they are tender.
Remove vegetables from heat and let cool to be able to cut them.
Chop the zucchini, onion and pepper into small pieces.
Add the finely chopped mint and a drizzle of olive oil to the vegetables. Mix and season to taste.
Stuff the tomatoes with the vegetable mixture and top with the Mozzarellissima.
Place on the BBQ over medium indirect heat, until cheese is melted and vegetables are heated through (approximately 5-6 minutes).
And, to celebrate the art of creative menu planning, Saputo is inviting Canadians to enter the Saputo à la Carte Summer Contest. With a few simple clicks and an imaginative approach to pairing dishes, contest participants can create a delectable menu from a list of options, and have a chance to win an ultimate $50,000 backyard makeover from Saputo! Don’t forget to enter soon as the contest runs until June 17th!
(I got so excited I took the picture on an angle!)
Giveaway: One reader from Canada (excluding Quebec) will win a summer bbq gift basket like the one pictured above including: a set of BBQ tools in their own case, a gourmet burger press, magnetic spice rack, pizza stone with rack, meat thermometer, cheese grater and full value coupons for Mozzarellissima (a $150 value!).
Remember, you must complete the mandatory entry in order for your extra entries to count (entries without the mandatory first entry will be discarded)!
Each entry should also appear in a different comment (do not put them together into one comment).
To enter the giveaway, check out Saputo’s various types of cheese and tell me me which one is your favourite, or which one you’d like to try (1 entry).
- Follow me Twitter AND tweet the following (please include the link to your tweet): Savour Summer- #Win a Saputo bbq prize pack ($150 value) @ReviewCorner @SaputoInc
ends 06/29 CANADA #canwin
- Check out Saputo’s recipes and give me the name of a recipe you’d like to try! (1 entry)
- Enter the Saputo a la Carte contest and tell me what you chose as your Appetizer, Main Course and Dessert (1 entry)
- follow SaputoInc on Twitter (1 entry)
- ”like” Saputo’s Facebook fan page – include your Facebook name (1 entry)
- subscribe to My Little Review Corner’s RSS feeds (or tell me you already receive them)– include the email address you used (1 entry)
- subscribe to My Little Review Corner via email (or tell me you already receive them) – include the email address you used (1 entry)
- ”like” my Facebook fan page – include your Facebook name (1 entry)
- share this giveaway (use Reshare button on my Facebook fan page
- follow me on Pinterest (1 entry)
- NEW pin any of my recipe or weight-loss posts on Pinterest and share the link (1 entry per post – unlimited entries)
- follow me on StumbleUpon -include your user name (1 entry)
- follow me on Google+ (1 entry)
- NEW Share on Google+ (using the G+ button on the bottom of this post) – include your Google+ user name (1 entry)
- Comment on any of my non-giveaway posts – let me know which post you have commented on (1 entry per post – unlimited entries)
*Contest closes at 11:59 PM pm EST on Friday, June 29th, 2012 . Open to residents of Canada (excluding Quebec), 18+ years of age.*