I’ve been working on my spring cleaning and, I have to admit, there are some jobs that frustrate the heck out of me! Luckily, I’ve got two new tools this spring – some great products from Scotch-Brite and some wonderful tips from Melissa Maker!
This spring, cleaning will be made easy with Melissa’s secret tips and tricks. Armed with the right cleaning tools and years of experience, Melissa will teach Canadians how to get the cleaning done in less time so they can de-clutter their home and mind.
Melissa’s Top Spring Cleaning Tips & Timesavers
Environmentally Friendly Patio Cleaning
Outdoor Furniture Cleaning Recipe (1/4 cup of dish soap, ½ cup of hydrogen peroxide, 1 gallon of warm water)
Mix these ingredients together in a clean spray bottle and spray the solution onto each piece, take a scrub brush such as Scotch-Brite’s Household scrubber, to the furniture to agitate the mixture. Brush dirt and debris off the furniture. For delicate surfaces, use a Scotch-Brite Light Duty Scrub Sponge.
Sponge or hose the mixture off the furniture until suds are gone to avoid lingering residue on the furniture. Allow the furniture to dry in the sunshine.
Cleaning light fixtures without a scratch
Kitchen lights need attention and spring cleaning is the time to do it. The vapour from cooking and dust in the air can accumulate on the bulbs and fixtures throughout the
year but can often get missed if you don’t need to change the bulb.
To clean light fixtures, fill a sink with warm water and dish soap.
Use a specially designed delicate care sponge like the Scotch-Brite Light Duty Sponge that’s strong enough to remove any build up but gentle enough that you won’t scratch the frosted glass.
Rinse well and dry with a microfiber cloth.
Give your Glass Cooktop the Royal Treatment
Build up on a glass cooktop is enough to give anyone a migraine! Cleaning your glass cooktop takes less than 15 minutes with the right recipe and tools for the job.
Add 2 tablespoons of dish soap to a bowl of hot water and wring out about 50% of the water.
Sprinkle the cooktop with baking soda, which provides gentle abrasion.
Place the damp cloth on top of the cooktop and let it sit for about 15 minutes.
When the time is up, remove the cloth and take a non-scratching sponge dipped in that soapy water. A good option is the Scotch-Brite Delicate Care Sponge because it won’t scratch your glass top but is still strong enough to get all the grime..
Work your way around the cooktop in an ’S’ pattern.
The stains will be gone! Then just wipe and shine it clean with a microfiber cloth.
Grout Grime Be Gone
Grout cleaning is a tough job but needs to be done as grout can become discolored and full of mold and mildew when left alone
To get rid of your grout mix 1/3 cup of baking soda, ½ cup of vinegar and 7 cups of water. Mix all in a spray bottle and shake.
Spray the mixture on the grout and use heavy duty sponge such as Scotch-Brite’s grout scrubber which will get the job done without chipping away at enamel.
Stress-free Toilet Clean
To get toilets sparkling clean, drop 2 denture tablets in the bowl, leave for 10 minutes and flush.
Denture tablets are designed to descale and disinfect dentures; they’ll do the same for the toilets.
Give the bowl a quick swish and you’ll be done before you can say the word ‘toilet’.
A quick and painless way to clean rugs and shower curtain
To keep shower curtains and bathroom rugs looking new, throw them in your washing machine on gentle cycle.
To maintain them looking great, use a lint roller to pick up debris and dust
De-clutter bathroom products
We all have the tendency of buying products and never using them or keeping them in our bathrooms
Cleaning out old products is not only a great way to de-clutter your bathroom, but also a great way to de-clutter your mind!
Follow these guidelines for products:
- shampoo and conditioners last about 3 years
- anti-aging and acne creams about 3 months to a year
- mascara and liners about 3-4 months
Go through all your beauty and health products kept in cupboards or drawers. Get rid of anything that has expired and clean and replace anything that has not.
Giveaway: One reader from Canada (excluding Quebec) will win Scotch-Brite Spring Cleaning ToolKit!
Remember, you must complete the mandatory entry in order for your extra entries to count (entries without the mandatory first entry will be discarded)!
Each entry should also appear in a different comment (do not put them together into one comment).
To enter the giveaway, check out the selection of Scoth-Brite products and tell me which one is your favourite (or which one you’d like to try!). (1 entry).
- Follow me Twitter AND tweet the following (please include the link to your tweet): Canadians, attack your spring cleaning with Scotch-Brite! #Win a Spring Cleaning prize pack! @ReviewCorner http://wp.me/p10r9i-1X8 ends 05/18
- Share a spring cleaning tip to help me as I continue with my cleaning fest! (1 entry)
- ”like” Scotch-Brite’s Facebook fan page – include your Facebook name (1 entry)
- subscribe to My Little Review Corner’s RSS feeds (or tell me you already receive them)– include the email address you used (1 entry)
- subscribe to My Little Review Corner via email (or tell me you already receive them) – include the email address you used (1 entry)
- ”like” my Facebook fan page – include your Facebook name (1 entry)
- share this giveaway (use Reshare button on my Facebook fan page
- follow me on Pinterest (1 entry)
- follow me on StumbleUpon -include your user name (1 entry)
- follow me on Google+ (1 entry)
- Comment on any of my non-giveaway posts – let me know which post you have commented on (1 entry per post – unlimited entries)
*Contest closes at 11:59 PM pm EST on Friday, May 18th, 2012 . Open to residents of Canada (excluding Quebec), 18+ years of age.*