One of my favourite things about summer is that everything seems to move at a slower pace – the hectic rush of the rest of the year is replaced (at least in my mind) with more relaxation! And what is the perfect accompaniment for some summer R&R? A family BBQ of course!
My extended family doesn’t get a chance to get together as much as I’d like (it’s hard to pin us all down in one place at one time) so Sobeys gave me the perfect opportunity to gather up the family for an amazing bbq!
Miss Eight and I headed to Sobeys to pick out ingredients for our bbq – she was so excited that she was getting a say in what we were eating that she was literally bouncing up and down in the aisle. It was quite the sight to see! (Little did she know that I’d already been browsing our options using the Moodie Foodie app that I’d downloaded free onto my iPod!).
Our first stop was to get some drinks for the party. My girl methodically checked out the shelves, asking me to read some of the names of the products that she couldn’t pronounce. When she reached the Fruitee Fizz Blueberry Pomegranate she decided it was the perfect choice because Little One loves blueberries and she said she also wanted to see what pomegranate tasted like.
Next, we stopped to check out the steaks. It was so hard to decide which ones to get because there is such an amazing variety of Sterling Silver Premium AAA fresh beef. I thought these would be the best type to get because they all looked beautifully marbled and I’d also read that they were aged a minimum of 14 days to provide exceptional taste and tenderness (and available exclusively at Sobeys!). Decisions, decisions! In the end I decided we might as well go big or go home, so we chose to get Prime Rib!
Finally, we picked out our dessert. Miss Eight quickly scanned the freezers and told me she thought we should “definitely” have Four Chocolate Chunk Brownie Cookie Dulche De Leche Ice Cream Sandwiches (it wasn’t even a contest to be honest – once she laid her eyes on that box I don’t think she even saw any of the other desserts!).
And what is a bbq without some great side dishes? We picked up some baked potatoes and all the ingredients to make the perfect summer salad that I’d found on the inspired.ca website – Grilled Vegetable Pasta Salad.
The beauty was that even our meal development was a full family endeavour! From Little One and Miss Eight helping set the table, to Grownup Girl prepping the baked potatoes to all the men putting their heads together (and bickering) around the grill about the perfect doneness (I don’t know if that is even a word but that’s what we always call it!) of the steak!
The meal was absolutely amazing! The Prime Rib was tender and flavourful and the Grilled Vegetable Pasta Salad was a huge hit (even with the girls, who aren’t always the biggest fans of vegetables). And the stars of the meal? The Fruitee Fizz Blueberry Pomegranate and the Four Chocolate Chunk Brownie Cookie Dulche De Leche Ice Cream Sandwiches were the stars for my girls! Little One kept asking if we were were for dessert yet (and even offered multiple times to get them out of the freezer – not that she can even reach it!).
Fun, family and amazing food from Sobeys! I can’t think of a better way to spend a Sunday summer evening!
Giveaway: One reader from Canada (excluding Quebec) will win a $100 Sobeys pre-paid gift card!
Remember, you must complete the mandatory entry in order for your extra entries to count (entries without the mandatory first entry will be discarded)!
Each entry should also appear in a different comment (do not put them together into one comment).
To enter the giveaway, visit the Inspired website and tell me which recipe you’d most want to try! (1 entry).
- Follow me Twitter AND tweet the following (please include the link to your tweet): #Savourthesummer – #win a $100 Sobeys Gift Card! @ReviewCorner @Sobeys http://wp.me/p10r9i-290 ends 08/17 CANADA #canwin
- Check out the Inspired Entertaining Ideas and tips and tell me which has inspired you! (1 entry)
- follow Sobeys on Twitter (1 entry)
- ”like” Sobeys’ Facebook fan page – include your Facebook name (1 entry)
- Tell me that you’ve downloaded the Moodie Foodie App (or if you plan to do so!) – (1 entry)
- subscribe to My Little Review Corner’s RSS feeds (or tell me you already receive them)– include the email address you used (1 entry)
- subscribe to My Little Review Corner via email (or tell me you already receive them) – include the email address you used (1 entry)
- ”like” my Facebook fan page – include your Facebook name (1 entry)
- share this giveaway (use Reshare button on my Facebook fan page
- follow me on Pinterest (1 entry)
- NEW pin any of my recipe or weight-loss posts on Pinterest and share the link (1 entry per post – unlimited entries)
- follow me on StumbleUpon -include your user name (1 entry)
- follow me on Google+ (1 entry)
- NEW Share on Google+ (using the G+ button on the bottom of this post) – include your Google+ user name (1 entry)
- Comment on any of my non-giveaway posts – let me know which post you have commented on (1 entry per post – unlimited entries)
*Contest closes at 11:59 PM pm EST on Friday, August 17th, 2012 . Open to residents of Canada (excluding Quebec), 18+ years of age.*