I don’t know if I’m going to age myself here, but whenever I think about peaches the song by the Presidents of the United States of America comes right into my mind. “Movin’ to the country I’m gonna eat a lot of peaches/Peaches come from a can they were put there by a man/In a factory downtown/If I had my little way I’d eat peaches everyday”.
I’ve been working hard to include more fruit into my diet and California Cling Peaches fit right in! Here are some great tips if you are like me and are making an effort to put more fruit into your diet.
• For quick weekday breakfast, especially in the winter and spring when fresh peaches are not available, add canned peaches to granola and top with yogurt
• Add canned peaches to a favourite smoothie recipe
• Canned peach slices make a perfect topping for pancakes, crepes, waffles or French toast
• Canned peaches are a nutritious addition to any green or grain-based salads
• Toss a can of diced peaches with peppers, onion, cilantro, olive oil and lime juice to make a zesty salsa
• Canned California cling peaches can be added to stir-fry, cooked in a casserole or even mixed into sauces for roasts
• Canned peaches add a flavour and colour boost to vegetarian, meat, chicken or fish dishes
• Canned California cling peaches hold their flavour and consistency better
than fresh peaches. Canned peaches can be substituted for fresh peaches in recipes such as crisps, cobblers and pies
• Peach slices are easy and fun to make with kids and provide a tasty after dinner snack year round
One of the suggestions I found was to add canned peaches to a smoothie. The girls love having smoothies (actually, they love them all year round, which is even better with California Cling Peaches because I never have to worry about only getting them in the summer!) and recently I decided to try two new types – I made one version for the girls and another version (with a few less calories) for myself!
For the girls, I made the the Peach Smoothie:
(Recipe and image courtesy of California Cling Peach Board)
1 can (14 oz/398 mL) California cling peach slices
1 banana, sliced
1 cup (250 mL) low or nonfat yogurt
1 cup (250 mL) milk
10 ice cubes
Whirl all ingredients in a food processor or blender until smooth. Pour into glasses.
Makes 4 servings
And, for myself, I made a variation on this recipe.
Low-Calorie Peach Smoothie
1 can (14 oz/398 ml) California cling peach slices
6 banana cubes (you can learn how to make these here)
1/2 cup reduced-calorie orange juice
4 ice cubes
Put all ingredients into a blender. Combine until smooth. Pour into glasses.
Yield: 3 servings
Calories per serving: 95
The girls absolutely loved the Peach Smoothie, while I enjoyed my own Low Calorie Peach Smoothie. So if you are looking for a summer drink, try these out!
For more ideas and recipes, check out the California Cling Peaches website!