At this point, I know y’all (I’m listening to a woman speaking on tv with a Southern accent right and I REALLY wanted to say that) know that I’m working hard to make my life healthier. While I’m not kicking butt and taking names, I am pushing hard and reading a lot because I realized that I need to remind myself of what works and I still need to learn things about living a healthier lifestyle!
One book that I’ve been reading is the Swap & Drop Diet. Produced by Best Health Magazine, this book takes a 12 week approach with a different focus each week, as well as some extra bonuses!
To be honest, I haven’t used the actual diet portion of the book, so I can’t comment on its effectiveness. That being said, because I am on my own weight loss journey, I have found a tremendous benefit in reading this book because it has given me a number of tools (and reminders!) to help me in my journey.
My favourite parts of the Swap & Drop Diet are:
- the weekly chapters which focus on different aspects of healthy living;
- the comprehensive “Swap & Drop” portion of the book; and
- the Swap & Drop recipes.
The reason I like the weekly chapters about different aspects of healthy living (including topics such as “Eat a Proper Breakfast”, “Be Social, But Eat Smart” and “Stay Motivated”) is that provides a single area of focus in a bite-sized format (pardon the pun!). With visual images to help understand various concepts (such as the size of various servings – which really flipped a light in my mind as I’m awful at estimating the size of portions!) and interesting facts, it really helps to put things into perspective and looks at healthy living for what it truly is – journey.
The “Swap & Drop” portion of the book is cool because it looks at a certain type of meal then provides a healthier alternative. And, rather than simply saying “this meal is better”, the book goes the extra step (which I think is particularly important) and actually explains WHY it is a better choice! That type of knowledge can then be applied if you encounter a different meal but with some similar items. And I really really (REALLY!) liked the “Dine Out” section. Like most people, my life gets busy sometimes and, when faced with choosing a meal from a chain restaurant, I’m often baffled. The book identifies various chain restaurants and provides an understanding of what healthier choices are and why they are a better alternative. I’ve already found myself scrutinizing this section when planning meals out!
And the Swap & Drop recipes are great because the recipes are generally accompanied by photos (I really prefer being able to get a picture of how the meal will look!) as well as easy instructions. They are broken down into types of meals (such as Breakfast and Desserts & Snacks) and provide extensive nutritional information.
So, while I haven’t actually tried the Swap&Drop Diet, per se, I have been using a lot of the information in this book and it has helped me immensely! I’ve just started the section on exercise and I’ve already found ways that I can incorporate those tips into my workouts as well!
(And did I mention that you also get 4 free issues of Best Health Magazine when you get this book? Because you do!)
Giveaway: One reader from Canada (excluding Quebec) will win their own copy of Swap & Drop Diet ($30 value).
Remember, you must complete the mandatory entry in order for your extra entries to count (entries without the mandatory first entry will be discarded)!
Each entry should also appear in a different comment (do not put them together into one comment).
To enter the giveaway, watch the video on the Swap & Drop Diet webpage and tell me something you learned.(1 entry).
- Follow me Twitter AND tweet the following (please include the link to your tweet): Start your autumn right! #Win a copy of the Swap&Drop Diet from Best Health Mag @ReviewCorner http://wp.me/p10r9i-2dE 09/07 #canwin
- Tell me why you’d like to win this book! (1 entry)>
- subscribe to My Little Review Corner’s RSS feeds (or tell me you already receive them)– include the email address you used (1 entry)
- subscribe to My Little Review Corner via email (or tell me you already receive them) – include the email address you used (1 entry)
- ”like” my Facebook fan page – include your Facebook name (1 entry)
- share this giveaway (use Reshare button on my Facebook fan page
- follow me on Pinterest (1 entry)
- NEW pin any of my recipe or weight-loss posts on Pinterest and share the link (1 entry per post – unlimited entries)
- follow me on StumbleUpon -include your user name (1 entry)
- follow me on Google+ (1 entry)
- NEW Share on Google+ (using the G+ button on the bottom of this post) – include your Google+ user name (1 entry)
- Comment on any of my non-giveaway posts – let me know which post you have commented on (1 entry per post – unlimited entries)
*Contest closes at 11:59 PM pm EST on Friday, September 7th, 2012 . Open to residents of Canada (excluding Quebec), 18+ years of age.*