I have to admit that I’m not very crafty and, while I’ve been working on it, I’m not a great cook or baker either! That being said, as I look at the crafts on other blogs and drool over the things I see on Pinterest, I dream about being able to do make some great Christmas crafts and recipes (I know….I set my aspirations high!).
When I learned about this craft to make gorgeous edible holiday ornaments using Rice Krispies, I was intrigued! I had a look and I think it is something the girls and I can do during the holidays, or when we simply want to tuck ourselves in the house on a cold winter’s day (it snowed here today!).
What You’ll Need
· 6 cups (1.5 litre) Kellogg’s Rice Krispies cereal
· 250g (1 pkg) Marshmallows
· 1/4cup (50ml) Butter or Margarine
· 2ml (1/2 tsp) Vanilla extract
· Red licorice string
· Red and white fondant and edible silver balls (available at cake decorating supply shops, crafting or grocery stores)
· Ruler, bamboo skewer, pizza cutter, rolling pin and paint brush
· Wrapping: cello bags, ribbon, and mini decorative bulbs (available at local crafting stores)
Make the Rice Krispies Base
1. In a large microwave safe bowl, heat margarine and marshmallows at HIGH for 3 minutes, stirring after 2 minutes
2. Stir in vanilla. Stir in Kellogg’s Rice Krispies cereal until well coated. Allow mixture to cool slightly; form into shape.
Shape the Ornament
1. Form Kellogg’s Rice Krispies cereal mixture into half balls, leaving space in the centre
2. Poke a small hole in a piece of fondant with bamboo skewer and thread with your red licorice to make the loop for hanging
3. Place the loop inside the ball and add more Kellogg’s Rice Krispies mixture to close the ball around the licorice so the loop sticks out; add more mixture as needed and mold with hands into ball shape
1. Roll fondant into a sheet using a rolling pin
2. With a ruler and pizza cutter, cut fondant into long strips; place onto ornament working your way around, cutting any excess
3. Use a very small cookie cutter decorating tool to cut out fun shapes from the fondant
4. Dip the paint brush in some water and brush onto the fondant; sprinkle on edible silver balls
5. Once complete, package the Kellogg’s Rice Krispies ornament in a cellophane bag, adding ribbon and mini decorative bulbs for the perfect holiday gift!
The final result? A gorgeous, easy (and inexpensive!) gift that you can share with coworkers, teachers or anyone else who you think would enjoy it!