When my parents announced 8 years ago that they were going to get a dog, I was stunned. We had never had a dog growing up and my parents had never even suggested they were interested in getting one. Their original reason for getting a dog? My dad had been diagnosed with diabetes and told he should lose weight, so they thought getting a dog was a good idea.
Little did I know how much this dog would change all of our lives!
When my parents appeared with their new pet, I was speechless (which is no small feat)! I had assumed that they would bring home a large dog that would give my dad a run for his money and get him to exercise. Who did they come home with instead? A teensy, tiny Shih Tzu puppy!
In the years that have followed, this sweet little dog truly has become an integral part of the family. My parents take her almost everywhere (even to church!) and she is always the centre of attention.
My parents love her so much, in fact, that she and my dad paid a visit to OSPCA where they made a cash donation. When I asked my dad why he’d decided to do that, he said it was the least that they (which I’m still not sure meant he and my mother, he and his dog or all three!) could do to help other animals in need!
This year, Iams Home 4 the Holidays pet adoption drive enters its 14th year. Its focus? Raising awareness of pet adoption while also ensuring proper nutrition for more homeless pets this year.
The program, which ran from October to the beginning of 2013, has achieved amazing results as it celebrates the adoption of over 7 million pets since the program was launched. It also continues to educate potential pet owners about the wonderful animals available at local shelters and rescue organizations.
While the Home 4 the Holidays has wrapped up for the year, there are still many things that you can do to help pets in your local area!
You can adopt a pet in need of a home (as pets need homes all year round!).
And if you can’t adopt? You can still help!
You can volunteer at your local shelter to train pets, walk dogs, groom pets, fundraise or help with their newsletter or website. You can also donate to your local shelter. In addition to cash donations, shelters always welcome supplies that they need, such as collars, bowls, cleaning supplies and toys.
For more information, call your local shelter as I am certain they would be thrilled to hear from you!
Giveaway: One reader from Canada (excluding Quebec) will win an Iam prize pack valued at over $300! This prize includes a pet bed, pet blanket, food container, food scoopers, 2 coupons for large bags of Iams, Swiffer cleaners, Febreeze pet odour spray and much more!
Remember, you must complete the mandatory entry in order for your extra entries to count (entries without the mandatory first entry will be discarded)!
Each entry should also appear in a different comment (do not put them together into one comment).
To enter the giveaway, give me the name of one of Iams Petcare Partners (1 entry).
- Follow me Twitter AND tweet the following (please include the link to your tweet): Show your pet some love by entering to #win a $300 petcare prize pack from @IAMS @ReviewCorner http://wp.me/p10r9i-2Fk ends 02/08
- Check out the Iams Adopt-A-Pet webpage and tell me something that you learned about animal adoption or how you can help. (1 entry)
- follow Iams on Twitter (or tell me that you already do) (1 entry)
- ”like” Iams’ Facebook fan page (or tell me that you already do) – include your Facebook name (1 entry)
- subscribe to My Little Review Corner’s RSS feeds (or tell me you already receive them)– include the email address you used (1 entry)
- subscribe to My Little Review Corner via email (or tell me you already receive them) – include the email address you used (1 entry)
- ”like” my Facebook fan page (or tell me that you already do) – include your Facebook name (1 entry)
- follow me on Pinterest (1 entry)
- pin any of my recipes or weight-loss posts on Pinterest and share the link (1 entry per post – unlimited entries)
- add this giveaway to any contest site or linky – share the link with me (1 entry per addition – unlimited entries
- follow me on StumbleUpon -include your user name (1 entry)
- Comment on any of my non-giveaway posts – let me know which post you have commented on (1 entry per post – unlimited entries)
*Contest closes at 11:59 PM pm EST on Friday, February 8th, 2013 . Open to residents of Canada (excluding Quebec), 18+ years of age. Please note other Terms & Conditions.*