If my sixteen-year-old self found me on Facebook today, what would she think?
After reading The Future of Us, where 2 friends in 1996 get a glimpse of themselves in 2011 through Facebook, I began thinking about what my sixteen-year-old self would think if she found me on Facebook today.
Here are the things that I think would surprise her the most:
1) Her proclamation, after taking Grade 10 computers, that she’d never use a computer again was obviously wrong!
2) She lost all of the weight she carried in high school, but gained it back again and is having to lose it again. ARGHH!
3) She has the career she dreams about, though there were a few bumps along the way.
4) She has an amazing family who are obviously important to her.
5) Her parents and siblings are all her Facebook friends (who would have thought her parents would even figure out how to use a computer??)
6) Her parents still nag her (though now they do it on her wall and through Facebook messages!)
7) Some of her closest sixteen-year-old friends aren’t her friends today but two of her best friends are still her best friends today!
8) She has traveled to places that she is dreaming about right now (and even has the photos to prove it!)
9) At a time when she often feels alone, it is obvious there are a lot of people who care about her!
10) What happened to her spiral perm? She has sworn she’d NEVER leave her hair straight!
I think if my sixteen-year-old self could the forty-one-year-old me on Facebook today some things would surprise her but she’d be happy with most of what she learns. And that makes me feel good.