When it comes to my healthy living and weight loss journey, I’ve come to realize over the past year and a half that I’m not trying to make temporary changes so I can hit a magic number — instead, I am making changes that I plan to keep with me for a lifetime.
One change I have been making is that I have eliminated the artificial sweeteners I’ve been using for more years than I can count! The challenge I found myself facing, however, was that I wanted to find a sweetner that I could use that would not be high in calories but wasn’t artificially developed.
I’ve known about Stevia for many years. About 20 years ago, I had a friend who was into naturopathy and natural food alternatives (he was SO ahead of his time!) who raised concerns about the artificial sweeteners I was using and he suggested I try Stevia as a natural alternative. I have to admit that I tried liquid Stevia back then and I didn’t particularly like it so I stopped using it and never gave it another thought.
That is, until I was recently introduced to Pure Via Stevia. Pure Via Stevia’s process is unique as you can tell from the infographic below.
While I knew theoretically that it could provide me with a natural alternative to artificial sweeteners, I was concerned about how it would taste as I had tried a popular natural alternative before and didn’t like it at all.
I quickly learned, however, that Pure Via Stevia has a variety of different products that addressed different tastes.
Pure Via Stevia has zero calories and one gram of carbohydrates per serving. Pure Via Stevia provides a naturally sourced alternative to sugar that can provide an additional sweetening choice to diabetics. Each 1 gram packet of Pure Via Stevia sweetens like two teaspoons of sugar and can be used in both hot and cold beverages.
Pure Via Stevia Granulated features a coarse texture which makes it an alternative to sugar for cooking and baking. It measures cup for cup like sugar and can replace the use of sugar in most recipes. Pure Via Stevia Granulated also contains zero calories with less than 0.5 grams of carbohydrates per 1 teaspoon.
Pure Via Turbinado Raw Cane Sugar and Stevia Blend is a turbinado raw cane sugar and stevia blend that contains naturally sourced ingredients and can be used in beverages and desserts. This blend, made from the pure sweet extract of the stevia plant and turbinado raw cane sugar, which comes from the first press of raw cane sugar, creates a golden brown sweetener with a great crunch. Each packet sweetens like 1 tsp. of sugar and contains 5 calories.
I tried both the Pure Via Stevia and the Pure Via Turbinado Raw Cane Sugar and Stevia Blend in tea to see how they compared. While I liked the taste of both, the Turbinado/Stevia Blend was the one that I preferred — I really liked the crunchy texture of the Turbinado/Stevia Blend.
I also tried my hand at baking with Pure Via Stevia and I made a batch of Melt in Your Mouth Vanilla Cookies. I changed the recipe slightly, swapping out the packets Pure Via sweetener used to sprinkle on the top of the warm cookies with a few packets of Pure Via Turbinado Raw Cane Sugar and Stevia Blend. The cookies turned out really well and everyone agreed that they tasted great!
Overall, I’m really impressed with Pure Via Stevia and it is now a staple in my kitchen!
Giveaway: One reader from Canada (excluding Quebec) will win a Pure Via Stevia prize pack valued at $50.
Remember, you must complete the mandatory entry in order for your extra entries to count (entries without the mandatory first entry will be discarded)!
Each entry should also appear in a different comment (do not put them together into one comment).
To enter, check out the Pure Via Stevia Q&A section and tell me something you learned. (1 entry).
Daily Entries – 1 entry each:
- Follow me Twitter AND tweet the following (please include the link to your tweet):#Win a $50 Pure Via Stevia prize pack from @purevia @ReviewCorner http://wp.me/p10r9i-2Zx ends 06/21 CANADA
- Tweet the following (and include your link): It’s all in the details http://tinyurl.com/greatpicturequotes @ReviewCorner #picture #quote #picturequote
- Pin any of my jewelry posts or beauty posts on Pinterest and share the link (1 entry per post)
- Comment on any of my non-giveaway posts – let me know which post you have commented on (1 entry per post)
- Check out the Pure Via Stevia recipes and tell me which one you’d like to try. (1 entry)
- ”like” Pure Via’s Facebook fan page (or tell me that you already do) – include your Facebook name (1 entry)
- follow Pure Via on Twitter – include your Twitter handle (1 entry)
- subscribe to My Little Review Corner’s RSS feeds (or tell me you already receive them)– include the email address you used (1 entry)
- subscribe to My Little Review Corner via email (or tell me you already receive them) – include the email address you used (1 entry)
- ”like” my Facebook fan page (or tell me that you already do) – include your Facebook name (1 entry)
- “like” this Facebook post – include the link (1 entry)
- follow me on Pinterest (1 entry)
- add this giveaway to any contest site or linky – share the link or location with me (1 entry per addition – unlimited entries
*Contest closes at 11:59 PM pm EST on Friday, June 21st, 2013 . Open to residents of Canada (excluding Quebec), 18+ years of age. Please note other Terms & Conditions.*