I’m still on a quest to find a great natural sugar substitute to artificial sweetener and to find ones that my dad will also use (to combat his very non-diabetic sweet tooth!). I am particularly interested in stevia so I was excited when I recently had the chance to check out Truvia.
According to the company, Truvia sweetener represents a new category of sweeteners from a natural source that can be added to a range of food and beverages. It has a crystal form that sprinkles just like sugar with no unpleasant aftertaste. It’s ideal for coffee, tea and other beverages and on cereal, fruit, oatmeal and yogurt. It can also be used in cooking and baking. One 3g packet of Truvia sweetener provides the same sweetness as two teaspoons (10 mL) of sugar.
When I tried it out, I was pleased by the taste. There wasn’t any yucky aftertaste that I associate with many artificial sweeteners and I like the fact it can be used in cooking and baking (I haven’t tried it yet, but I’m going to make my dad some sugar-free muffins once the heat wave decides to let up!).
And, because of this wacky hot and sticky weather, I decided to use the recipe from the Truvia website to make us Lemon Iced Tea with Truvía Sweetener!
Lemon Iced Tea with Truvía Sweetener
4 cups (1 L) water
4 bags black tea
3 Tbsp (45 mL) Truvía sweetener (you can also use 10 individual packets)
2 tsp (10 mL) lemon juice
Bring water to a boil. Remove from heat and add tea bags.
Steep for 5 minutes. Discard tea bags.
Stir in Truvía sweetener and lemon juice. Refrigerate until chilled.
Serve over ice, if desired.
Though my dad isn’t a huge tea drinker, he said he liked it and I know that I did! I think Truvia is a great option for my dad because consumption of Truvía stevia leaf extract has no effect on the glycemic index and is well tolerated by type two diabetics so is an excellent choice for diabetics. Not only that, but for those following a kosher and/or gluten-free diet, Truvia is suitable for Kosher diets (it bears the PARVE symbol) and does not contain any gluten.
Truvia sweetener is available in Canada in 40 and 80 packet boxes and in a 270g spoonable jar at Loblaws banner stores, Metro, Safeway, Sobey’s and other retailers across Canada.
Or, if you want to give Truvia I try, you can win a Truvia prize pack to make your own Lemon Iced Tea!
Giveaway: One reader from Canada (excluding Quebec) will win a Truvia prize pack like the one pictured above!
Remember, you must complete the mandatory entry in order for your extra entries to count (entries without the mandatory first entry will be discarded)!
Each entry should also appear in a different comment (do not put them together into one comment).
To enter, check out the Truvia recipes and share the name of another recipe you’d like to try (1 entry)
Daily Entries – 1 entry each:
- Follow me Twitter AND tweet the following (please include the link to your tweet): Sweet without sugar!- #Win a @Truvia prize pack @ReviewCorner http://wp.me/p10r9i-37D ends 08/16 #giveaway #Canada
- Tweet the following (and include your link): It’s all in the details http://tinyurl.com/greatpicturequotes @ReviewCorner #picture #quote #picturequote
- Comment on any of my non-giveaway posts – let me know which post you have commented on (1 entry per post)
- Tell me why you’d like to try Truvia!
- ”like” Truvia’s Facebook fan page (or tell me that you already do) – include your Facebook name (1 entry)
- follow Truvia on Twitter (or tell me that you already do) – include your Twitter handle (1 entry)
- follow Truvia on Pinterest (or tell me that you already do) – include your Pinterest account name (1 entry)
- subscribe to My Little Review Corner’s RSS feeds (or tell me you already receive them)– include the email address you used (1 entry)
- ”like” my Facebook fan page (or tell me that you already do) – include your Facebook name (1 entry)
- like this Facebook post by clicking on the “like” button below! (1 entry)
- follow me on Pinterest (1 entry)
- add this giveaway to any contest site or linky – share the link or location with me (1 entry per addition – unlimited entries
*Contest closes at 11:59 PM pm EST on Friday, August 16th, 2013 . Open to residents of Canada (excluding Quebec), 18+ years of age. Please note other Terms & Conditions.*