I’ve been a dairy gal my whole life! My aunt and uncle were dairy farmers and I have the greatest memories of going through the barn and helping with the chores! (I have to tell you, it’s hard work! I have nothing but respect for dairy farmers!) I also love to cook – even though I’m still working at perfecting my skills – so I appreciated the chance to put my skills to the test. When I found Anyday Magic which features dairy recipes using Real Cream I was pretty excited — everything tastes better with cream! Even more than that, I learned that there are some great bbq recipes that have been developed by 3 talented chefs so I decided to try my hand at the Grilled Peach Trifle with Lemon Buttermilk Cake that was developed by Chef Michael Allemeier!
Here it is in all its glory! (I have to confess though – my cake didn’t turn out anywhere near as pretty as the one I’m showing you here though it tasted phenomenal!)
Grilled Peach Trifle with Lemon Buttermilk Cake
(Courtesy of anydaymagic.ca and developed by Chef Michael Allemeier)
4 to 6 freestone peaches, cut in half and pitted
1/3 cup (75 mL) toasted sliced almonds
Lemon Buttermilk Cake:
1 cup (250 mL) granulated sugar
1/2 cups (125 mL) butter, room temperature
1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla
1 1/2 cups (375 mL) all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp (1 mL) each, baking soda, baking powder and salt
6 tbsp (90 mL) buttermilk
1 lemon, zest finely grated and juiced (about 3 tbsp/45 mL)
2 cups (500 mL) frozen or fresh raspberries
1/2 cup (125 mL) each, granulated sugar and water
1 tsp (5 mL) lemon juice
Almond Whipped Cream:
1 1/2 cups (375 mL) 35% cream
1/4 cup (60 mL) icing sugar
3/4 tsp (3 mL) almond extract
1/2 tsp (2 mL) vanilla
Lemon Buttermilk Cake: Pre-heat oven to 325°F (160°C). Lightly butter a 10-inch (25 cm) non- stick springform pan; line bottom with parchment paper. Set aside.
In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat together sugar, butter and vanilla, until creamy and smooth. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time.
Sift flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt into a small bowl. Reduce speed to low and slowly add the flour mixture, alternating with the buttermilk until well mixed. Add lemon zest and juice; mix well. Spread into the prepared pan; smooth top.
Bake for about 35 to 40 minutes until tester inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool in pan on rack for 10 minutes. Carefully remove from pan and cool on rack completely.
Raspberry Syrup:In a medium saucepan, combine raspberries, sugar, water and juice; bring to a simmer on high heat, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to medium and simmer 5 minutes or until raspberries are completely broken down. Strain through a fine meshed sieve, pressing on berries to extract juice. Discard seeds and refrigerate syrup to cool completely.
Preheat grill to medium-high heat. Place peaches cut side down on greased grill; grill covered for 3 to 4 minutes or until grill marks appear. Turn peaches over and grill 1 to 2 minutes longer. Cool to room temperature or up to 6 hours.
Almond Whipped Cream: In a chilled bowl, whip cream, icing sugar, and almond and vanilla extracts until stiff peaks form.
To assemble: On a serving platter, place cake. Cut a wafer thin horizontal slice off the top of the cake (and enjoy). Drizzle with 3/4 cup (175 mL) of the raspberry syrup. Spread almond cream to the edges. Place grilled peach halves on top. Drizzle remaining raspberry syrup and sprinkle with almonds. Serve immediately. Enjoy!
This recipe is only one of the many that you can find on the Anyday Magic website. It’s a great place to check out all kinds of yummy recipes (personally I’m going to try the Festive Trifle Cake and the Creamy BBQ Potato Salad with Crispy Red Onions!).
Giveaway: One reader from Canada (excluding Quebec) will win a Real Cream prize pack like the one pictured above.
Remember, you must complete the mandatory entry in order for your extra entries to count (entries without the mandatory first entry will be discarded)!
Each entry should also appear in a different comment (do not put them together into one comment).
To enter, check out the Anyday Magic recipes and tell me the name of another recipe not mentioned here that you’d like to try (1 entry).
Daily Entries – 1 entry each:
- Follow me Twitter AND tweet the following (please include the link to your tweet): #Giveaway – Nothing tastes better! #Win a #RealCream prize pack! @100CanadianMilk @ReviewCorner http://wp.me/p10r9i-3dm ends 09/07 #Canada
- Tweet the following (and include your link): Great Canadian giveaways! Visit! https://mylittlereviewcorner.wordpress.com @ReviewCorner #giveaway #win #Canada
- Comment on any of my non-giveaway posts – let me know which post you have commented on (1 entry per post)
- Check out the Great Cream Challenge
and tell me which recipe you’d most like to try — you can even vote for your favourite!
- ”like” 100% Canadian Milk’s Facebook fan page (or tell me that you already do) – include your Facebook name (1 entry)
- follow 100% Canadian Milk on Twitter (or tell me that you already do) – include your Twitter handle (1 entry)
- subscribe to My Little Review Corner via email (or tell me you already receive them) – include the email address you used (1 entry)
- subscribe to My Little Review Corner’s RSS feeds (or tell me you already receive them)– include the email address you used (1 entry)
- subscribe to My Little Corner on BlogLovin’ (or tell me you already receive them)– include the email address you used (1 entry)
- ”like” my Facebook fan page (or tell me that you already do) – include your Facebook name (1 entry)
- “like” this Facebook post – include the link (1 entry)
- follow me on Pinterest (1 entry)
- add this giveaway to any contest site or linky – share the link or location with me (1 entry per addition – unlimited entries
*Contest closes at 11:59 PM pm EST on Friday, September 7th, 2013 . Open to residents of Canada (excluding Quebec), 18+ years of age. Please note other Terms & Conditions.*